Cairns Regional Council has recently adopted the ‘COVID-19 Response Investment Incentive Policy’, effective 12 August 2020 to 30 June 2022.
The policy seeks to stimulate small-scale development within the Cairns Region, to the benefit of local development and construction industries and the economy at large.
The Policy provides a waiver of up to 100% of infrastructure charges payable for eligible development, which includes*:
- All development in:
- Cairns City and Cairns North
- Precinct 1 – Town Centre of the Gordonvale Local Plan; or
- Precinct 1 – Munro Street and Precinct 2 – Mill re-development of the Babinda Local Plan; or
- All small scale residential development; or
- All development that involves the reuse of an existing site or tenancy that does not result in an increase of Gross Floor Area (GFA); or
- All centre activities or industry activities (refer incentive caps in Policy).
*Subject to satisfying all eligibility criteria as outlined within the Policy.
Small Scale Residential Development means development involving a Material Change of Use for Dual Occupancy or a Reconfiguration of a Lot (1 lot into 2 lots), where the lot to be developed exists prior to the Policy Period. The Policy also provides for consideration of incentives for ‘catalytic development’.
Don’t hesitate to contact us should you wish to discuss the Policy provisions in further detail.